Half Dead? • View topic - The global tribe

The global tribe

Skaters, despite being highly individual congregate in packs, and the bonds between them are immensely strong. Friendships made while skating can and do last a lifetime. Time to fess up and bro down with stories of how that brotherhood (and sisterhood) worked itself into your lives.

Moderator: leebryan

The global tribe

Postby leebryan » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:58 pm

In the late 70's and early 80's, Skaters around the world developed a culture in their own local groups with little influence from the outside world except that of the magazines. We had snippets of ideas presented as flashes in time. "How did he get into that position?" was a common question. sparking an intense creative inquiry of possibilities. Then came Stacy and the Powell videos. All of a sudden it started to become clear. We could see the moves happening. Progression skyrocketed exponentially, and the unification of culture gathered pace. At the same time, communication technologies made connecting these groups together much simpler and cheaper, so ideas, legends, stories and friendships started to really blossom. In the bust of the mid 80's when we in the UK "skated with the undead", these strings of life were sometimes all we had to remind us we were not alone.

It would be easy to say the acceleration of technology and distribution caused culture to develop, but I think it's missing the point. One thing I'm exploring in the book is the similarities between skaters BEFORE they connect with one another. The personality types, the "infection" and how it progresses and fundamentally changes you. What I know so far is this - skaters the world over are similar in terms of thought processes across many domains, and we develop these similarities in remarkably similar ways as we continue to skate. Add in the communication technologies, and we have been part of developing a unique global, tribal culture not dissimilar to our Surfing ancestors.

How has this worked in your case? What were the key points that changed it all for you? I'd love this discussion to flourish. Take a minute and see if anything sparks off.
leebryan
Site Admin

Re: The global tribe

Postby ancientskater » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:09 pm

What's up Lee?! Am super stoked beyond rationality about this forum you've created for us. Thank you! I just now joined and wanted to take a moment to let you know how much I appreciate what you are doing for this very real but hitherto largely disparate community. We are a global tribe for sure! I've met a bunch of us " half dead" skaters online over the last year. Seems like in many cases we came from strong skate communities from the 80s and 90s, but by now there's only one or two left still skating or resuming, from each town. So it's like we're islands left over after the erosion of so many adult factors.
I also notice that the resurgence of skating for my generation (I'm almost 40) has specifically been gaining momentum over the last year. In part due to Peralta's documentaries, but also maybe midlife crises or a sense of urgency before it's really too late! (But now that we're rehooked we feel that "The Answer is Never", it's never going to be too late, so we'll never quit or quit again).
I loved filling out the survey, and am looking forward to the book! I'll support the brand too.
I've got tons to share and ask about on this forum, looking forward to actually responding to the questions in the threads.
ancientskater

Re: The global tribe

Postby leebryan » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:14 am

Great to have you aboard! From the get go I wanted this forum to be different from the others out there (which I also participate in), and be a place our generation could congregate and discuss issues that have some relevance to us. The survey showed me that there are 9 main themes that are common in older skaters lives, and this is how I've arranged the forum. I'm psyched that you appreciate it, and am looking forward to getting you into discussions and hearing what you have to say. Thanks for your participation and insights!
leebryan
Site Admin

Return to Tribal Culture