Half Dead? • View topic - X Ray Spex

X Ray Spex

The two are intertwined, both support and feed off of each other. This is the place to discuss how music has affected your skating history. Punk? Metal? Disco?

Moderator: leebryan

X Ray Spex

Postby leebryan » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:16 am

Loved this band from the late 70's punk era. Germ Free Adolescence is still one of my favorite albums of all time, and I am surprised at how much I play it. Awesome to skate to too. Any other Spex fans out there?
leebryan
Site Admin

Re: X Ray Spex

Postby Tonyf » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:40 am

I did like X Ray Spex. Polly Styrene was a great front woman. So sad she past a way and only aged 43 too.
Tonyf

Postby nick » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:56 pm

i clambered over mounds and mounds of polystyrene foam,then fell into a swimming pool filled with fairy snow,hows things eel? guess who?
nick

Postby leebryan » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:22 pm

Nick? Well the only people who've called me eel are from way back in Lincoln in the UK. And the email punkboy76@blah blah does place you in that era. Nick Bates? Dominic Bescoby? Dominic Davey? Nick, Nick, Nick… I know there are another couple of nicks from back then but can't remember the names. Put me out of my misery will ya? Either ways - thanks for chiming in :-)
leebryan
Site Admin

Postby nick » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:41 pm

well thats a fine way to remember your skating pal ;) although its a hell of a long time ago, i must admit i had to study the pics to make sure it was you lol,then i saw the pic at rodneys rat house ,we had some good sessions in there,we had to catch the bus most weekends to get there
nick

Postby leebryan » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:06 pm

Wow! My memory is so shot. I do remember going on the bus a lot to Rodney's though. I remember riding my AP50 there too, hands got so cold I had to ride one handed with the other on the cylinder head to keep warm. So so long ago. Good to hear from you. Hope alls going well.
leebryan
Site Admin

Postby nick » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:49 am

well seeing as you cant remember :lol: its nick headland,we used to go to doncaster,horncastle,spalding,malibu dog bowl all the time,plus i recall going to arrow and kidderminster and kettering on the odd occasion too,see if that jogs the old memory :mrgreen:
nick

Postby leebryan » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:34 pm

Nick! Weirdly enough once you'd said Headland it all came flooding back to me :-) Including all the trips. My God we had some fun! Heading to the Malibu Dogbowl every weekend on the train, skating broad marsh banks while waiting for the train home, and the always sketchy Hyson Green bowls. We skated that shitty Lincoln park for hours and hours down by the bus station. We made trips out to Horncastle right when it was "discovered" after we'd gotten to know the locals there. We did go to Doncaster many times. Didn't we go to Roxy Skate at least once? Spalding - I remember that trip and finding that perfect concrete thing. Were you around when we bought and moved it to Cherry Willingham? Arrow! OMG what a park! That was just such an insane trip. Loved that place. Kidderminster - the trip with you was the start of a love affair with that pool that lasted many years, and Kettering - weren't you there in the summer of 79 when we all had to sleep in a giant circus tent? Bloody hell mate - thanks so much for popping up! Great great memories.

What are you up to now?
leebryan
Site Admin

Postby nick » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:11 pm

i dont remember anything about a tent? id prob packed up by then,i went to spalding with you to collect and help load the "half pipe :lol: " and then we unloaded it at cherry,i think i only ever skated it twice when it was reassembled ,by then id just about packed up skating altogether,glad you remember the good old park in lincoln ,that was the only job ive ever enjoyed ,getting paid for running a skatepark , it was totally crap but we still managed to ride it,remember the banked area where the word "transition" hadnt been heard of :lol: anyway i wont clutter up your thread,drop me an email if you want to chat/catch up etc,dont suppose you have any pics of us from back then? ive only got 2 pics which were taken of me at malibu dog bowl ,wish we had camera phones back then :)
nick

Return to Skating and Music