Half Dead? • View topic - Ankle rolls and fractures

Ankle rolls and fractures

Every skater gets injured eventually. I broke my neck - twice! There are horrific stories in the survey about injuries and illnesses that stopped you skating a while. Share those here - we want to know the gory details. Yes, all of them.

Moderator: leebryan

Ankle rolls and fractures

Postby leebryan » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:31 am

Back in the 80's my feet and ankles seemed to be forever encased in support bandages. For some reason the ankles always took the brunt of it. I remember being at a session at Kidderminster once, rolling an ankle and having no bandages with me, so improvisational as ever I took an old Tee shirt and started ripping strips off it. Duct taped end to end these made a fine bandage. I also remember when the mini ramp craze hit in the early 80's starting to adapt my largely vert style and trying some of the more technical tricks like nose stalls to revert. I rolled my ankle so badly on that one I was out for 3 months.

I write this as I'm about to go to the doctors for yet another foot and ankle injury. It's touch and go if it's broken or not. Guess we'll see soon enough. Stay tuned!
leebryan
Site Admin

Re: Ankle rolls and fractures

Postby leebryan » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:21 pm

No fracture, just a good old fashioned foot and ankle mangling then. Ah well.
leebryan
Site Admin

Postby ancientskater » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:43 pm

Ouch! 3 months due to one moment of vert to jump ramp adaptation! How did you injure it this time? How has it changed your practice?
I was also an 80s skater, but I went from street to jump ramps and then vert. As a kid I skated super hard, every day, big stuff, high likelihood for injuries. Never hurt my ankles, but I was ( and still am) more prone to hurting my wrists. I notice that we each have our own patterns in the way we commit or bail, and recurring injuries expose these patterns.

As an adult I just had two back to back foot injuries. Am almost 40, am loving skating, and am getting obsessive about practicing daily or else I'm ornery. Hard to accomplish with a wife and two jobs. Only been back at it ten months. So when I had my two back to back foot injuries, I was bummed. For me it meant that my practice became an hour a day of manual and nose manual practice. When it really hurt, I practiced stationary with my wheels in a crack. It was a supersatisfying solution, and productive too, cuz beforehand I sucked at manuals. Before this I also was clueless as per anything nollie ( no nollie board even existed in my day). I found that the stationary nose manual practice also helped my nollies and crooked grinds.

The first injuries was when I rolled it practicing an Ollie Casper flip. It's like a late flip.
Then, two days later I tried running out a bail from near the lip at the Venice Skate Park big pool. From like ten feet up I smashed my heel. Now about 4 months later it still hurts enough to whereas I'm sure I have a pressure fracture. But it's skateable!
Even still, my wrists are my weakness and the last thing I'm relearning is how to just take my falls, roll out, maybe scratch the elbows a bit. That's way better than putting the old hand out! Ugh. Gotta stop that, especially with two broken fingers from two different falls ( ledge and picnic table).
ancientskater

Postby leebryan » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:12 pm

I hung up on a smith grind, and just got my foot under as I ran it out. Rolled it pretty bad. However - it's on the mend and I'm doing some low level skating now so all is well. I'm almost 50 now so recovery is longer, and the mental damage is tough to deal with but I'm absolutely jonesing to get back skating so I guess I'm not too mentally scarred.

You sound like you've been bitten by the skating bug full on. More power to you, and welcome to the ranks of the Half Dead!
leebryan
Site Admin

Postby ancientskater » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:08 am

Ha ha, thanks Lee, it's a compliment to say I've been full on bitten by the skate bug! Yes, it's good to be back!
Glad you are on the mend. Mental scarring, I know how it is. I need baby steps with everything I relearn, just to overcome certain hesitancy. But in some cases it's like my problem is I'm bailing wrong, and so I have to figure out the perfect baby step to teach me to roll into it instead of putting my hands out. I'm not as much of a transition skater. I wonder if it's less is a temptation to brake with the hands on transition as it is when bailing off a ledge or even on flat ground.

My above mentioned casper flip ankle sprain is now making me timid of all late flip tricks. All the same I figure I have plenty of time to practice on- time flips before I worry about late ones.
ancientskater

Postby leebryan » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:36 pm

I spoke way too soon. It just wasn't getting any better, so I went back to the docs. They took a lot more x rays, and still concluded it was not a fracture, but they couldn't take an MRI until I had been in an immobilizing boot for 6 weeks (because of insurance). 6 weeks later - it's still as bad as ever, so now I'm waiting for an MRI on Dec 23rd. I'm trying really hard right now to not let this degenerate into a thread about the US healthcare system, but I can tell you - it's really hard right now for me to not do that. I can't believe the American people could have let such a self serving, dysfunctional system emerge and develop to the state it is now. The whole thing needs tearing down and reconstructing. Any of you out there have healthcare horror stories also?
leebryan
Site Admin

Postby leebryan » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:49 am

It's now a full year since the ankle injury. I've been through x rays, MRIs, PT, countless doc visits and my own training regime, and it's still not 100%. Short version - the MRI revealed a bruised talus bone, and ruptures of two ligaments, one each side. I never even knew you could bruise a bone before! The ligament damage I'm very familiar with, but what I wasn't prepared for was the length of time it took to get to a point of even skating decently, and the mental damage it did. I'm getting stronger every time I skate, but even now one year on I can't commit to a smith grind and even a frontside 50-50 has me bailing every single one. It's a pain but I'm trying to deal and find ways to get around the mental issues. Just an update if anyone was interested.
leebryan
Site Admin

Return to Injuries and Illnesses