Half Dead? • View topic - The family that skates together stays together

The family that skates together stays together

Teaching the kids? Or are they teaching you by now? Family time at the skatepark is a wonderful thing. What happens there? Are they embarrassed? Or proud and think you're cool?

Moderator: leebryan

The family that skates together stays together

Postby too loose le truck » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:07 pm

I skate with my kids, and I feel very close to them because we share the common love of riding. We have met many other skate families and skate couples on our trips to various skateparks in CA and Oregon , so the adage holds true: the family that shreds together, stays together!
too loose le truck

Re: The family that skates together stays together

Postby leebryan » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:59 am

Love skating families! There's something a bit special about seeing them all padded up and learning together. Especially when the kids have the skills and are teaching the parents! That's always a hoot. It's all a far cry from the pool bustin' hard core lifestyle we know from our Thrasher days, but it's awesome nonetheless
leebryan
Site Admin

Postby Bri » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:57 am

My son now skates a bit, but it's hard to get him to put real effort into it, when he does though he moves forward, I don't think he quite has the drive as yet to do more, electronics I think are a lot to do with this these days, we had nothing in the home so had to go out & do stuff, hmm maybe a power cut is in order! :lol:
Bri

Postby Bri » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:19 pm

Well after my Son's summer lazing around hermit like existence holidays, he rocked up to the Works skatepark for the first time in two months + or so with me & blow me, he carved around the pool more than once, fairly low, but he couldn't do it at all previously, so maybe a rest works out for some! :D
Bri

Postby carlsonamy63 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:28 pm

Well Lee, It is a bit special to be a skating family! Our daughter is 10 and can skate circles around us, front side and back side now! My husband and I took up skating over the summer as a way to all be together and out doors and also because we did not want to drop our 9 year old off at a park with a bunch of "teenage boys" :D We spent over a 100 hours in the sun with a picnic basket last summer and a bunch more time since at a local indoor skate park. We are not good skaters, we are beginning and getting better every time we skate. We have had a bunch of hard falls and laughed our butts off! We even have names for the stupid ways we look as we bail out which make us laugh even harder! After a session, we all talk about what was good and what was hard and what we might try next time. When we land a new trick we get a sticker, just like our daughter. Our daughter is not ashamed of us. She is our favorite Skoach and our biggest fan! One thing that we did not expect was the respect and support we have gotten not only from the "teenage boys", but everyone at the parks. Skating is not about how you look or how good you are. Its about trying something new and laughing along the way, and for us being together. I don't expect any of us to be doing hand plants any time soon but everyone who has ever skated had to start some where :D Thanks for all your encouragement Lee! Our family would not be the same without you <3
carlsonamy63

Return to Skating with family